Drumachose Presbyterian Church    

Home Church History Our Vision Resources Contact Us

  

Church History

We can trace the origins of the congregation to the year 1655 when Thomas Fulton came from Ayrshire in Scotland to be Commonwealth Minister. 

The Church in those early days was situated on the site of the present Tesco Supermarket.

 

In 1743 a theological dispute resulted in the majority of members moving from the site to where the present church now stands. 

This church was built in the shape of a Greek cross and the four aisles are named after the townlands to which they point. 

Over the years a number of renovations have taken place but this unusual design identifies Drumachose as a church of considerable architectural interest.

 

Church Pic

 

Our Church Manse, 'Fairy Fort', is located on Killane Road, Limavady.

This property has recently been rebuilt & is pictured below. 

Ministerial Records

1655

Thomas Fulton (Commonwealth Minister)

1696

David Wilson

1702

Main Street Church rebuilt

1720

William Cunningham

1742

Henry Erskine

1743

NEW Church built

1750

Alexander Stewart ordained as first Minister of 1st Limavady Presbyterian Church

1763

Jacob Davis

1788

Daniel Blair

1812

Richard Dill

1824

John McLaughlin

1833

George Steen

1840

Foundation Stone laid for 2nd Limavady Presbyterian Church.  George Steen installed as first Minister 1845.

1845

Nathaniel McAuley Brown

1875

Church rebuilt

1907

William McNutt

1913

William Mitchell

1925

John Henry Carson

1931

Samuel McCully

1962

Samuel Wilson

1971

James Ronald Savage

1977

David Stanley Irwin (Minister Emeritus, Retired August 2006)

2007

Rev. Stephen A. McCracken B.D., Dip. Min., M.Phil

2019 Currently vacant (as of June 2019)