Drumachose Presbyterian Church
|Home||Church History||Ministerial Records||Links|
Limavady is a market town approximately half way between Coleraine & Londonderry/Derry. It is an expanding town with many new housing developments being built in recent years.
The beautiful Roe Valley Country Park is an oasis of peace in a busy world and the River Roe is one of the best fishing rivers in Ireland.
Limavady is also an historic town. St Columba travelled from Iona to Limavady in 575 AD to attend the Synod of Drumceatt.This was held at Mullagh Hill, now part of the Golf Course attached to the Roe Park Resort.
We in Drumachose can trace the origins of the congregation to the year 1655 when Thomas Fulton came from Ayrshire in Scotland to be Commonwealth Minister. The Church in those early days was situated on the site of the present Tesco supermarket.
In 1743 a theological dispute resulted in the majority of members moving from the site to where the present church now stands. This Church was built in the shape of a Greek cross and the four aisles are named after the townlands to which they point. Over the years a number of renovations have taken place but this unusual design identifies Drumachose as a church of considerable architectural interest.
One of the best
known Ministers of Drumachose was
Dr Nathaniel McAuley Brown. He became minister in 1845 and retired in 1907
aged 87 years. He died in 1910. Dr Brown was Moderator of the General Assembly
A Memorial plate in the Church describes him in these words :
"A Leader of the people; a fearless advocate of the rights of a man and a champion of the oppressed. He pleaded strenuously with voice and pen and with ultimate success in the cause of land purchase and for redress of the grievances of the tenant farmers of Ireland".
Dr Brown was responsible for what we know as the "Three F's" - Fair rent, Fixed tenure and Free sale in connection with the tenant farmers of Ireland. Dr Brown built his own residence "Fairy Fort". This house was bought by the congregation after his death and is still used as the Manse today.